Schools should provide meal options for all pupils who are in school. Meals should be available free of charge to all infant pupils and pupils who meet the benefits-related free school meals eligibility criteria. As school kitchens will be open, normal free school meal provision will resume.
Schools should work with their catering teams/providers to:
- provide meal options for pupils for all pupils who are in school in a Covid-secure way
- support pupils eligible for benefits-related free school meals who have to be at home for reasons relating to coronavirus (COVID-19) by providing food parcels.
Meals must continue to comply with the School food standards and drinking water must be provided free of charge at all times to registered pupils on the school premises.
Useful information for schools and caterers includes:
- Food Standards Agency - Guidance for food businesses
- School Food Plan Alliance checklist
- GOV.UK - Providing school meals during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
The qualifying benefits for free school meals can also be found on the free school meals page. Parents may apply for Free School Meals online through the Parent Portal or by calling the Customer Service Centre: Telephone: 01926 359189 (Mon – Thu: 9am – 5pm, Fri: 9am – 4:30pm)
Where families are in financial difficulty, they may apply to the WCC Local Welfare Support scheme: Tel: 0800 408 1448 or 01926 359182 or by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.