STS is a traded service, schools/academies purchase an annual subscription.
The Specialist Teaching Service (STS) is designed to help you maximise the achievement and wellbeing of pupils with social, emotional and mental health (SEMH), cognition and learning and communication and interaction needs. We work with SENDCOs to deliver positive outcomes for learners through evidenced interventions and direct support of pupils. Our service supports schools to build capacity and remove barriers to learning that can address schools’ learning and behaviour needs in a single coherent way.
The Specialist Teaching Service provides a complete strategic and responsive approach to meet the needs of all children particularly those with additional needs. Our highly qualified specialist staff will support the school’s educational visions, enabling effective systems to be put in place to ensure that targeted support is having the required impact in terms of pupil progress and engagement.
A named specialist teacher(s) is allocated to the school and visits on a regular basis.
Headteachers and SENDCOs can phone for advice in addition to their specialist teacher visits. Subscribing to STS also entitles schools to preferential rates for STS consultation and staff training. We aim to remove barriers to learning at whole-school and individual level.
STS can help schools with:
- keeping up to date with changes in the national policies and legislation
- planning, mapping, evaluating and costing effective provision in line with the SEND Provision Matrix
- assisting to update SEND Information Reports for websites as required by the new Children and Families’ Act
- screening of pupils
- assessment of pupils to inform graduated response
- advice and guidance on appropriate SEMH, Cognition and Learning and Communication and Interaction strategies to use with specific individuals or groups of pupils
- delivery of evidence-based interventions and teaching approaches to work directly with specific individuals or groups of learners and to demonstrate effective strategies
- contributions to Education, Health and Care Plans
- strategic SENDCO support to help with auditing needs and provision
- preparing a pre-Ofsted health check and supporting post-Ofsted action planning
- advice on reasonable adjustments to the curriculum and the learning environment
- individual or small group bespoke training
- supporting the Early Help process and making effective links with a wide range of other agencies
- programmes where we model interventions and train Teaching Assistants to run groups
- advice and guidance on specialist resources and the management of the learning environment
- supporting quality first teaching.
STS commissioned work
- Restorative work for pupils with an EHCP where their placement is at risk.
- STS provide additional support for schools to support pupils with an EHCP plan identified by SENDAR
Paul Fellows, Area Manager - North
Tel: 01926 413777