This is a core, non-traded statutory service for community and voluntary controlled schools.
Health and safety law requires employers to appoint someone competent to help them meet their health and safety duties. The WCC Corporate Health, Safety and Wellbeing Service have been appointed to provide competent health and safety advice and assistance to the County Council including schools where the LA is the employer.
Services provided automatically without charge to all Council services and schools where the LA is the employer:
- The provision of professional, technical, practical and competent health, safety and wellbeing advice, guidance and support as required. Advice can take different forms, such as telephone and email, but also visits to schools where required.
- The production of LA health and safety policies, standards, advice and guidance documentation that must be followed to assist schools in discharging their own moral and statutory health and safety responsibilities.
- Updates and relevant changes to health and safety legislation and guidance.
- A schedule of programmed visits to schools to advise on and audit the management of the control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH).
- The provision and delivery of a range of corporate health and safety training *please note some course charges apply.
- The recording and reporting of all relevant accidents/incidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) on behalf of schools and the LA (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations).
- Assistance with the completion of accident/incident investigations, as appropriate.
- Liaison with the HSE and other enforcing authorities on any regulatory interventions or investigations.
In order to measure and monitor health and safety management and compliance for the LA as a statutory employer, the WCC Corporate Health, Safety and Wellbeing Service also carry out a programme of corporate health and safety management system audits in all schools where the LA is the employer.
Note: This is separate to services offered to schools by the traded service.
The WCC Corporate Health, Safety and Wellbeing Service can be contacted on 01926 476803 or by email: email@example.com
To access WCC health and safety policies, standards, advice and guidance please visit: Health and Safety documents for LA Maintained Schools
Please note the WCC Corporate Health, Safety and Wellbeing Service is a core, non-traded statutory service which is separate to the traded service offered to schools.
Services not provided to schools by the Corporate Health, Safety and Wellbeing Service
Health and safety inspection services (to purchase, if required as stated in the LA health and safety standards). For more information on traded health and safety inspection services offered by the WES Safety and Premises Service go to the WES website. Please note this is a separately managed traded service.